Since 1977, Chinatown Community Development Center and its predecessor organizations have been nationally acknowledged for their achievements.
Here are highlights from our long history:
Here are highlights from our long history:
- Chinatown CDC's Sustainable Chinatown work received the Commission on the Environment - Environmental Service Award. The Award recognizes Chinatown CDC's comprehensive approach to energy-efficiency, energy generation, and water conservation at our buildings.
Pictured: Commissioner Elmy Bermejo, President, Commission on the Environment; Cindy Wu, Deputy Director of Operations, Chinatown Community Development Center; and Rich Chien, Private Sector Green Building Coordinator, San Francisco Environment (March 28, 2017).
- NeighborWorks America presented Chinatown CDC with the 2016 National Award for Excellence in Community Building. The award acknowledges Chinatown CDC's outstanding commitment and sustained effort to share best practices, strengthen resident voice, cultivate local leaders, engage community members, and expand community leadership in under-represented groups.
- Enterprise Community Partners presented Chinatown CDC the Award for Enterprise Community Partner of the Year, which honors leaders in the community that have responded to challenges in the affordable housing sector with creativity, partnership and the spirit of innovation. Chinatown CDC is one of two community leaders recognized by Enterprise Community Partners.
- Chinatown CDC's Executive Director Rev. Norman Fong received the Spirit of America Award at the National Chinese American Citizens Lodge (C.A.C.A.) meeting.
- Chinatown CDC's Executive Director Reverend Norman Fong was recognized as a White House Champion of Change in Community Resilience and Preparedness. Our youth are active in leading disaster preparedness trainings for residents living in SROs. They have made a tremendous impact on safety and quality of life issues in our neighborhood.
- Chinatown CDC's Youth for Single-Room Occupancy (YSRO) Program receives Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Outstanding Achievement in Youth Preparedness. YSRO Youth are trained and certified in emergency response and disaster preparedness, lead fire prevention and earthquake preparedness outreach efforts, and provide training to senior SRO residents. They also have also published a safety handbook, developed a slide presentation, and created bilingual educational materials currently used in outreach to seniors and at-risk populations.
- Chinatown CDC, in collaboration with the San Francisco Police Department and various Tenderloin community organizations, are honored with MetLife Foundation's Community-Police Partnership Award for the “Safe Passage” Project. The project was awarded $15,000 toward their partnering effort to promote safe streets free from drugs and violence for the community's children.
- Gordon Chin honored by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors at the Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Commendations.
- First ever Noodles Fest 2010, a cultural and culinary community-building event between Chinatown CDC and North Beach Merchants Association. Noodles Fest was voted “Best of the Bay” by SF Guardian.
- Reverend Norman Fong chosen by Bank of America as one of five Local Heroes.
- Chinatown CDC is chartered as an Exemplary member organization of NeighborWorks America, a national network of more than 230 community-based organizations creating healthy communities through the work of thousands of residents, business people, government officials and other partners across the country.
- Norman Fong, Deputy Director, receives “Silver SPUR award.”
- Chinatown Alleyway Tours is again voted “Best of the Bay 2008” by the San Francisco Bay Guardian.
- Chinatown Alleyway Tours receives nationwide coverage in the Associated Press, and is also featured in the Washington Times, CNN, USA Today, Vancouver Sun, Chicago Sun-Times, and some European newspapers.
- Parkview Terraces Senior Housing wins Affordable Housing Finance's Reader's Choice awards in the “Seniors” category.
- Parkview Terraces Senior Housing receives the Award of Merit in the “Best Senior Housing” category in the 2008 Gold Nugget Competition, which honors creative achievements in architectural design and land use planning for residential, commercial and industrial projects.
- Norman Fong, Deputy Director, is honored by PBS affiliate KQED and Union Bank of California as one of five “Outstanding Unsung Local Heroes.”
- Affordable Housing Finance Magazine 2005 Readers' Choice Award grants Best Seniors Project to the International Hotel
- Bank of America awards a two-year grant of $200,000 to Chinatown CDC for capacity building.
- Bay Guardian names youth-led Chinatown Alleyway Tours 'The Best Reason to Sidle down Chinatown Alleyways' in their Best of the Bay edition.
- American Institute of Architects California Council grants Chinatown CDC its Community Service Award.
- Metro Transportation Commission grants Chinatown CDC its Merit Award.
- SF Weekly names Chinatown Alleyway Tours the 'Best Tour of Chinatown' in their Best of San Francisco issue.
- Metropolitan Life Foundation awards Chinatown CDC the Award for Excellence in Affordable Housing in the property and asset management category for our management of Larkin Pine Senior Housing.
- San Francisco Beautiful awards Chinatown CDC the 2000 Beautification Award in recognition of Chinatown CDC and the Chinatown Alleyway Improvement Association's neighborhood leadership in planning and securing funding for the Chinatown Alleyway Master Plan.
- Fannie Mae Foundation awards Chinatown CDC the Sustained Excellence Award as one of the nation's top ten community development corporations.
- The Swiss American Hotel is one of 10 housing developments in the United States recognized by the National Recognition Program for Urban Development Excellence, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- The Pew Charitable Trusts' Neighborhood Preservation Initiative chooses Chinatown as one of nine model working class neighborhoods.
- Fannie Mae Foundation awards Chinatown CDC the Maxwell Award of Excellence for Tenderloin Family Housing.
- National Housing Conference awards Chinatown CDC the Outstanding Affordable Housing Award for affordable housing development.
- National Alliance to End Homelessness awards Chinatown CDC the Nonprofit Sector Award for affordable housing development.
- Fannie Mae Foundation awards Chinatown CDC the Maxwell Award of Excellence Honorable Mention for the Cambridge Hotel.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development recognizes Chinatown CDC in its National Recognition Program for Urban Development Excellence for the Swiss American Hotel.
- Great Western Savings Bank awards Chinatown CDC the Leslie N. Shaw Sr. Memorial Award for affordable housing development.